Police Arrest 2nd Man In Connection To Attack On Jewish Diners At L.A. Sushi Restaurant

0
0


On Tuesday, LAPD Chief Michel Moore confirmed the arrest of a second man in connection to an alleged anti-Semitic attack on a group of Jewish men dining at a Los Angeles sushi restaurant last week.

Moore said Samer Jayylusi, 35, a resident of Whittier, was taken into custody in Anaheim around 1 a.m. on Tuesday. He was booked on $255,000 bail on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.

“We have a substantial amount of video evidence,” Moore said at an LAPD Commission meeting.

Moore said the Whittier Police Department helped locate Jayylusi.

Another suspect, 30-year-old Xavier Pabon of Banning, was arrested on Friday night and booked on $275,000 bail on the same charge. Police credited tips from the public with helping to identify Pabon. He was reportedly released over the weekend after posting bond and due in court on September 23.

Authorities said they are pursuing hate crime enhancements for both men, who police described as “primary suspects.”

Chief Moore said investigators continue to examine evidence in search of others involved.

As The Daily Wire previously reported, cell phone footage posted on social media captured part of a confrontation around 10 p.m. last Tuesday, May 18, outside Sushi Fumi in L.A.’s Beverly Grove neighborhood.

Unidentified witnesses told CBSLA that a caravan waving Palestinian flags approached the restaurant. A mob of men dressed in black then physically attacked a group of Jewish diners and others sitting outside, they said. The attackers reportedly yelled anti-Semitic slurs, chanted “death to Jews,” threw glass objects, and asked indiscriminately, “Who’s Jewish?”

“Two guys said they were, and they proceeded to beat them up,” said an unknown person from the scene.

Witnesses said the ordeal lasted about 15 minutes.

Law enforcement said five people had been punched, kicked, or wounded by broken glass, but no one was seriously injured.

L.A. Democratic Mayor Eric Garcetti, who is part Jewish, condemned the incident, calling it an “organized, anti-Semitic attack” and vowed to “respond with the full force of the law.”

Councilman Paul Koretz, a Jewish Democrat, said the May 18 attack had been the second crime directed at Jewish people in his district over a 24-hour span. The other had occurred about two miles away from the restaurant confrontation in the Fairfax District. Security video captured footage of an Orthodox Jewish man being chased by a caravan of people waving Palestinian flags. Police believe the incidents are related.

Koretz committed “to deploy more resources to the region” to better protect people from similar violent confrontations.

“These acts will not go unchecked,” Koretz said in a statement provided to The Daily Wire. “We will do everything necessary to bring these criminals to justice and restore order on our City streets.”

According to the Los Angeles Daily News, “The attacks occurred in the aftermath of large demonstrations in the West L.A. area, including one outside the Israeli consulate, pitting pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel groups against each other.”

Related: Arguing Anti-Semitic Attacks On Jews ‘Are A Gift To The Right,’ NYT Columnist Proves That Fighting Conservatives Comes Before All Else

Related: LAPD Investigating Attack On Jewish Men As Possible Hate Crime By Pro-Palestinian Group

The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.





View original Post

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here